November is Native American Heritage month. Corn, squash and beans are popular ingredients in indigenous dishes. This Three Sisters Soup combines these three hearty ingredients in a delicious soup that can easily be vegan. Plus, this recipe has a superfood kick, with FeelGood Fortified Turmeric. Try serving this traditional soup at your next Thanksgiving gathering.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 white or yellow onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 4 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoons FeelGood Turmeric Powder
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 32 ounce chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 yellow squashes, sliced
- 1 can hominy or corn
- 1 can beans (pinto, corn or kidney)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add oil, onion, bay leaf, thyme, garlic and turmeric to a large pot. Sauté for 4-5 minutes.
- Add in celery and carrots. Sauté for 10-15 minutes.
- Add broth, yellow squash, hominy and beans to pot. Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!