Here's a heartwarming and tasty soup that's served with fresh Greek yogurt and soft, warm naan. If you love meal prepping, you can also freeze this pumpkin soup for later, and then reheat while you warm up the naan for a quick dinner.
Substitute chicken stock for vegetable stock and omit the Greek yogurt for a vegan option.
- 2 lbs organic pumpkin, peeled, deseeded, cut into half inch pieces
- 1 1/2 lbs organic carrots, peeled, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed (or 1 tsp garlic paste)
- 1 inch fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 TBSP mustard seeds
- 1 tsp FeelGood Fortified Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 4 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 3 cups filtered water
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Line a large roasting pan with non-stick parchment paper. Place pumpkin and carrot in a lined baking pan. Drizzle over 2 tablespoons of oil and toss to coat. Roast for 30-35 minutes or until golden and tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion. Season with salt. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until onions are soft. Add garlic, mustard seeds, coriander, cumin, turmeric, cardamom and chili powder if desired. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until aromatic and the mustard seeds start to pop.
Add the pumpkin, carrot, stock and water. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a medium low. Cook, covered, for 15 minutes. Uncover and set aside for 15 minutes to cool slightly.
- Transfer half the pumpkin mixture to a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer the soup to a clean saucepan. Repeat this step with remaining pumpkin mixture.
- Place over low heat and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes or until heated through. Ladle among serving bowls. Top with a dollop of greek yogurt and stir to create a swirled effect. Serve with warmed naan bread.