Here's a heartwarming and tasty entree served with fresh Greek yogurt and soft warm naan. Freeze this pumpkin soup ahead, then all you need to do for dinner is pour it into a pan to reheat while you warm up the naan.
Substitute chicken stock for vegetable stock and omit the Greek yogurt for a vegan option. If pumpkin is out of season and not stocked at your grocer, organic yams are a fine alternative.
Prep Time: 30 minutes, Cooking Time: 60 minutes, Serves: 6
- 2 lbs organic pumpkin, peeled, deseeded, cut into half inch pieces
- 1 1/2 lbs organic carrots, peeled, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed (or 1 tsp garlic paste)
- 1 inch fresh organic ginger, finely chopped
- 1 TBSP mustard seeds
- 1 tsp ORGANIC TURMERIC POWDER
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 4 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 3 cups filtered water
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt for garnish (optional, but recommended)
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line a large roasting pan with non-stick parchment paper. Place pumpkin and carrot in lined pan. Drizzle over 2 tablespoons of oil and toss to coat. Roast for 30-35 minutes or until golden and tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion. Season with salt. Reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring often, for 20 minutes or until soft. Add garlic, mustard seeds, coriander, cumin, turmeric, cardamom and chilli powder, if desired. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until aromatic and the mustard seeds start to pop.
Add the pumpkin, carrot, stock and water. Increase heat to medium. Cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, for 15 minutes. Uncover. Set aside for 15 minutes to cool slightly.
- Transfer half the pumpkin mixture to the carafe of a blender. Blend until smooth. Transfer the soup to a clean saucepan. Repeat with remaining pumpkin mixture.
- Place over low heat and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes or until heated through. Ladle among serving bowls. Top with a dollop of greek yogurt and stir to create a swirled effect. Serve with warmed naan bread.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.