Kombucha has recently been growing in popularity, but do you know what it is that you are actually consuming when you drink this sweet, fizzy, and fun drink? Let’s talk about what kombucha tea is and some of the possible health benefits of kombucha.
What is Kombucha Tea?At its simplest kombucha is a colony of yeast and bacteria. To turn this into the kombucha tea that can be found on the shelves at grocery stores, the colony of bacteria and yeast is added to sugar and tea and given time to ferment creating a drink with many amino acids, vitamins, and enzymes.
The Origins of KombuchaIt is hard to trace the origins of kombucha to one exact time and place, as there are many stories and people attributed to the beginnings of kombucha, but what these all have in common is an East Asian background.
One story credits 221 BCE China with the beginnings of kombucha. At the time it was called “The Remedy for Immortality.” Another story attributes the origins to Korea in 414 BCE from a doctor named Kombu. The doctor is said to have brought the tea to the emperor as a cure for illness. Still, some people say kombucha came from Manchuria. Despite these different origin stories, kombucha eventually made its way to Russia, where Russian and German prisoners of war drank it during World War I.
In the mid-twentieth century, kombucha tea became very popular throughout Europe. In Italy, it is said that people were mixing it with holy water to attain health benefits. The drink even became part of pop culture in Italy with the hit song “Stu Fungo Cinese!” meaning “The Chinese Fungus!”
Today, Kombucha has garnered the attention of many and has a projected global market size of $6.5 billion by 2025. People have at-home grow kits, it is seen on grocery store shelves, and has even been used recently to make kombucha wine and beer!
Six Possible Health Benefits of KombuchaThe health benefits that may come from kombucha can mainly be attributed to the tea and probiotics that kombucha contains, rather than the drink itself. Though we cannot promise any specific health benefits of kombucha, many studies have revealed the powerful potential benefits that kombucha tea has.
- A great source of antioxidants - Antioxidants are important for health as they fight against free radicals in the body that can cause damage to your cells. Kombucha has been shown to have positive effects on the liver because of the antioxidants it contains.
- May lower heart disease risk - By possibly reducing the levels of “bad” cholesterol in the body and increasing the levels of “good” cholesterol in the body, kombucha may lower the risk of heart disease. This is very important as heart disease is currently the world’s leading cause of death.
- May help protect against cancer - Studies have shown that through the antioxidant properties and the high concentration of tea polyphenols, kombucha may be able to restrict the growth and spread of cancerous cells.
- Contains the health benefits of the tea it is made from - Kombucha is normally made from either black or green tea, which both have been shown to have significant health benefits. Black tea may improve cholesterol levels, reduce the risk of cardiovascular disorders, reduce body weight, and improve blood pressure. Green tea has similar effects, and it may also improve alertness, relieve headaches, and assist in digestion.
- May support gut health - Through the fermentation of kombucha, acetic acid is produced. Acetic acid is said to have the ability to kill harmful microorganisms, while not affecting the good yeasts and bacteria produced during and involved in fermentation.
- A source of probiotics - The fermentation of kombucha also produces lactic-acid bacteria which act as probiotics. Probiotics are important as they are a source of healthy bacteria for your gut. The bacteria can assist with inflammation, digestion, and weight loss.
A New Method: Kombucha Tea Powder
You’ve most likely seen bottles of kombucha that you can purchase, but have you seen a powder that can simply be added to a bottle of water to give you all the health benefits of kombucha tea?
This new kombucha tea powder is so easy to use and packed with nutrients. Not only is it made from premium black tea grown in Taiwan, but it is also full of probiotics and prebiotics. This combination is called a synbiotic and adds to the health benefits of kombucha by stabilizing the number of microorganisms in the gut and increasing immune cell activity. Ultimately, these actions from synbiotics have been shown to reduce stress-related behaviors.
Now that you know all about kombucha history and the health benefits of kombucha, it’s time to try some for yourself. Simply add FeelGood Superfoods® Kombucha Pre+Probiotic Iced Tea Powder to water, mix, and enjoy!
For more kombucha benefits and products, you can find us on social media @feelgoodsuperfoods.