An easy vegan pesto with tons of fresh herbs, nutrient-rich kale, hulled hemp seeds, and nutritional yeast! The perfect 10-minute spread or sauce for Italian night and beyond! Vegan, gluten-free, and oil-free optional.
Prep Time: 10 minutes. Makes 1 cup.
- 1 cup packed fresh organic basil (large stems removed)
- 1 cup packed fresh organic parsley (large stems removed)
- 2 cups packed organic kale
- 3 TBSP hemp seeds
- 3 large cloves organic garlic, peeled
- 1-2 TBSP lemon juice
- 3-4 TBSP nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp sea salt, plus more to taste
- 2-3 TBSP extra virgin olive oil (if avoiding oil, sub water)
- 3-6 TBSP water (plus more as needed)
- To a food processor or small blender, add the basil, parsley, kale, nuts/seeds, garlic, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and sea salt and blend/mix on high until a loose paste forms.
- Add olive oil (or water) a little at a time (streaming in while the machine is on if possible) and scrape down sides as needed. Then add 1 Tbsp (15 ml) water at a time until the desired consistency is reached - a thick but pourable sauce.
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more nutritional yeast for cheesy flavor, salt for overall flavor, seeds for “nuttiness” or thickness, garlic for bite/zing, or lemon juice for acidity.
- Store covered in the refrigerator up to 5 days. After that, pour into ice cube molds, freeze, and store in the freezer up to 1 month or more.
Leave a comment